Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Staying on the Wagon in August

Wow, can you believe it's almost August?!  Where did the summer go?  Oh, that's right- work.  Kinda makes me wish I was a teacher or college student again.

Giant wagon- that I intend to get back on....

So the end of July means something else: the beginning of August.  A new month is always like January 1 for me with new goals and resolutions.  In the past, (with the exception of my wedding as a motivator) I have rarely gone more than a week before I have fallen off the wagon of diet, exercise, or whatever else.  So, in an effort to stay on the wagon in August, I'm going to share them here so other people know about them.  I'm usually super-excited about it around days 1 and 2, then I lose motivation.  I get tired and lazy and don't want to do it anymore.  Can anyone else relate?  Am I the only one???  Okay, here's my list:


1.  Diet: I don't want to go on one, I just want to make a big effort to eat better.  We don't eat that badly, but we could do a lot better.  I say "we" because I pretty much feed the hubby whatever I'm eating, unless I know he'll hate it, like tofu.  (Unless I can disguise it in pudding or lasagna.  Don't tell him.)  I need a simple plan that will be healthy and functional for when I work from 8:30 am- 10:30 pm some days.  This means more planning in advance, grocery shopping in advance to make it happen, and preparing food in advance to cut down on actual dinner prep time.  I like the idea of Clean Eating (the Tosca Reno version), and have tried to kind of do it before.  I find it difficult to stick to, especially since some of the specialty foods her recipes call for are a. expensive, b. nowhere to be found in the MidWest, or c. somewhat impractical for how much I'll use it.  So, here's how I plan to tackle this little project:


  • Meal plan for the week and grocery shop on Saturday or Sunday afternoon depending on my work schedule.  Every week.  
  • Keep only the ingredients for the week's meals on hand plus healthy, quick snacks like cut up fruit and veggies with dip.
  • Clean out pantry and keep only what I know I will use soon.  

2.  Exercise: I love weight lifting, and almost always make it to the gym on weights days.  I hate running with a fiery passion and rarely do it.  Here's the problem: I know I should do at least 3 days of high intensity cardio per week.  And I feel great after it's over.  I just hate getting there and doing it.  I have tried going to the gym after work, but it doesn't happen most of the time.  My best shot at working out is first thing in the morning.  Right now, I get about 3 days in a week.  Here's how I'm going to try to make it work:
  • Start working out EVERY weekday morning at 6 AM.  Yep, every weekday morning.  The gym is 5 minutes away, always open at that time, and hardly ever busy.  
  • Get a workout buddy (or group of buddies) so I have some support
  • Set out my gym clothes the night before
  • Plan workouts in advance so I'm not sitting around thinking of what to do next

3.  New hobbies: Even though I work at Loft, shopping can't be my hobby anymore.  Not good for the pocketbook, and not good for my (now) organized closet.  I have plenty of fun clothes that I love, and I need to learn to be content with them.  That being said, I want to try one new thing a month, whether it be a new book, a new activity, or something else.  Any suggestions?  My first 2 are:
  • Try growing an herb garden at home 
  • Take ballroom dancing lessons with the hubby
WHEW!  Sorry for the long post.  Please feel free to send your goals (if you have any).  How do you get over bumpy spots and stay motivated?  Thanks in advance for your tips, advice, and encouragement!
 

5 comments:

Tamara said...

I can teach you to crochet? That is a really fun and non-expensive hobby.

I agree about the eating healthy thing...so much of that stuff you can't get at the coop and it is so expensive.

SLWAH said...

IPFW offers classes through continuing ed that are usually only a couple of weekends, and are more life enrichment classes than actual book-learning classes. You could look into those...

LJFalls said...

I always menu plan- always! (You can steal meal ideas from my blog any time!) And I try to plan out 2 weeks so I only grocery shop once every 2 weeks. Usually it works out pretty well.

Grace said...

I am currently meal planning right now! Mondays are my meal plan/grocery shop days because the restaurant I work at is closed on Mondays. Random... but works for me! My goal is to be able to plan a whole week! For some reason I'm good at planning for a few days.. but then I'm not sure what's going to happen or something so the end of the week is kinda shot. But this week! I'm planning the whole thing through (including the time I'm going to be gone in CA and Kyle has to stay here lol).

I totally agree about ingredients being expensive/nowhere to be found/excessive. I think having an herb garden will somewhat take care of that :). I think the herbs are what bother me the most! Kyle got paid today.... so I'm going herb shopping soon :).

ALSO, a new goal of ours is to be even better about our bookkeeping. We just bought a newer version of Quicken ($ managing program) and Kyle is learning it and doesn't like it too much (the new version). I just think he needs to change the way he's been doing things with the older version... and I don't think he likes that. BUT, one of our problems... more like MY problem... is I'm bad about getting receipts to him right after I purchase things. I'm also bad at keeping receipts in general lol. I'm getting better at it, but I'm still not good. So! As well as grocery shopping today I'm going to go find a receipt bowl at TJ Max (I hope!). That way we have a receipt place that isn't him... lol!

Good luck with your working out! We're going to go try to get a membership at the YMCA here. It's nice and close. I miss having the seminary gym so close!!

Mrs. R said...

@ Tamara- I used to crochet as a kid! My aunts taught me. I remember liking it then, so maybe I should give it another try.

@ Laura- I am just discovering the awesomeness that is menu planning. I will definitely steal stuff from you. ;)

@ Grace- same thing has happened to me in the past. By Thursday, PB & J become our dinner stand-by since we're apparently STARVING when we get home and can't wait 30 minutes for anything else. How are the grocery stores in TN? As a side note, I totally used to do the receipt thing, but now we just get all the money we need in cash for the month, aside from a few bills I pay online, and once the cash is gone, it's gone for the month. I highly recommend that if you guys are trying to find something easier and less cluttered. But whatever works- at least you guys are trying to be responsible with your money. Yay for that!