Friday, April 27, 2012

Because Everyone Needs A Hobby



Last Saturday, I got together with a few girlfriends and we went to town on crafty stuff.  Mostly sewing projects and whatnot.  I was kinda sad upon arriving, because my sewing machine has been broken since December, and I wasn't sure how to fix it.  It's always had some minor issues that I have dealt with because I don't want to buy a new one.  What follows is the short, sad tale of how my sewing machine bit the dirt.
I was being all frugal and awesome and decided to make hand warmers for both sides of our family as stocking stuffers.  I cut out 48 pairs of fleece squares and was testing out the first one.  I was starting to put the first stitches in the fleece as I smugly thought to myself, "Everyone is going to think I'm awesome."  I had visions of little stacks of hand warmers tied with festive ribbon and little homemade gift tags.  Which is about the time I heard a "WHOMP, WHOMP, WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound emitting from the depths of my machine.  To my horror, there was thread and fleece pushed down into the bobbin case and so tangled that I couldn't even cut it out.  The next part got ugly and may or may not have included an artistic use of strung-together four letter words (I know, you're shocked) and bursts of sobbing fits. 

Needless to say, I was not happy.  It was the day before we were leaving for Christmas, and I had no stocking stuffers.  Plus, I use my sewing machine all the time to fix stuff, make little crafts when I feel like it, and generally feel awesome and domestic.  Lucky for me, a friend at our craft day knew exactly how to clean my machine out, and got it in perfect working order again.  Actually, it was better than it was before.  Thanks, Becca!

Now, I have a world of possibilities with a working sewing machine and I'm itching to make some maternity/ baby things.  So knowing full-well that I will probably not get to most of these projects, I have made a list of things I want to make for babycakes and for me.  Not all of them are necessarily sewing projects, but they're crafty. 

Ruched maternity tops here
Maternity dresses here
Maternity skirts here and here
Maternity pants or shorts here
Nursing tank tops here and bras here
Nursing scarves like this one
Swaddle wraps like this one
Lamp for nursery like this one
Quilt/blanket like this and this
Framed book pages kind of like this but cuter
Taggies-type blanket tutorial here

What kinds of awesome things would you make for a baby?  I'm open to more ideas. 

Because, you know, I won't be busy with this stuff.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

http://thismamamakesstuff.com/tutorial-rockin-baby-gown-t-shirt-refashion/

This is a TShirt Re-Fashion into an Infant Gown.

SUPER cute!!!! I love gowns.

I also like to make wierd stuffed animals and alter clothes to fit better in pregnancy and a mei tai carrier.... and burp cloths out of a pre-fold and a cute piece of cotton!
I can't wait to see pics of the stuff you make!

Mrs. R said...

Holy cute!!! Definitely adding this....

Grace said...

oh my gosh Mackenzie!! You're giving me ideas!! Too bad I'm almost done! (Actually I'm really happy about that... lol!) But I definitely could use some of this stuff right about now... I'm starting to run out of clothes!!